Welcome to the website of the Parish of Christ Church, Windsor, Nova Scotia! This website endeavours to communicate with parishioners and friends about the events, programmes and activities of the Parish.
The Parish dates from the 1770s when it was known as the Parish of Windsor (1771-1804). On November 26th, 1804 the Parish was incorporated by an act of Governor-in-Council as the Parish of Christ Church. The first Christ Church building (1789) was designed by Bishop Charles Inglis, the first Bishop consecrated for a Diocese overseas and the founder of King’s College School in 1788 and the University of King’s College (1789), both of which institutions were located in Windsor and in association with the Parish. The original Christ Church served as the University Church for a period of eighty years before Hensley Memorial Chapel was built in 1877.
The present building was constructed in 1882. Designed by the Worcester Massachusetts architect, Stephen Earle, it was built by a local contractor, Joseph Taylor. The building is a fine example of the carpenter gothic style architecture that influenced many church buildings from the mid-nineteenth century onwards in the Maritimes. The Parish celebrated its 125th anniversary of the present building on October 14th, 2007, the anniversary date of the laying of the cornerstone in 1882.
A 92-page illustrated book Gates of Heaven: Sweet Love Remembered, written by the Rector, (Rev’d) David Curry, offers a theological and historical retrospective on the Parish. Two excerpts are available for downloading as pdf documents:
Several photos and illustrations from the book can be viewed here.
Gates of Heaven: Sweet Love Remembered can be purchased from the Parish ($20.00 + shipping charges). Contact:
The Parish of Christ Church
P.O. Box 2664
Windsor, Nova Scotia B0N 2T0
or e-mail: Rector (replace [at] with @)